Is my backtested trading system back far enough?
Monday, July 9, 2007
Greetings,

I have been doing an enormous amount of backtesting in Profitsource recently, and there are a few systems that may be hopeful. Usually my first backtesting goal is to reach the 51% mark for winners versus losers over a five year period. I don't see any sense in doing some fine tuning until I can beat the probabilities by at least 1%.

Yesterday, I somehow stumbled onto a 75% winners versus losers system on the S&P and DOW and I was instantly dumbfounded. This has happened many times before, but not on a data range of 5 years. Here is my initial results from Profitsource's System Builder.







As you can see, the winning trade percentage was 75.71% with an average trade profit of $769.52. Total Profit was $53866.61 from 70 trades. Keep in mind, that this was also based upon a $100,000 trading account starting from 2003 and ending in July 2007. Feeling the luck of the triple 7 calendar (07-07-07), I decided to blindly tweak to my hearts content. After a few hours of tweaking the parameters, this is what I came up with:












System is now sitting at 80.36% winners versus with only 56 total trades. The average winning trade has also increased to $968.27 with a total profit of $54223.24. Now the biggest question is "did I backtest far enough back?" That will have to be left for another post.












What was the system? Let's do some more backtesting first!

Later, Fibonacci

Index for all blog postings

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!

If you like the blog, visit the forum at www.Primalgreed.com Let's Network!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Fibonacci_Trader @ 4:53 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Site Links
Blogs I Read
About Me

Name: Fibonacci_Trader
Home: United States
About Me: Tryin to make that dollar, without losing my shirt
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Misc

Add to Technorati Favorites
Free Blogger Templates
Blink It
BLOGGER
Join the Investment Bloggers Group

© PrimalGreed